The back-to-school season is an exciting time for kids and families, but it can also be a time of stress and anxiety. You have many things to think about and prepare for, from new classrooms and teachers to after-school activities and homework.
One of the most important things to keep in mind during this busy time is your child’s safety. Below are some tips to help you and your family have a safe and successful back-to-school season:
- Plan ahead for drop-off and pick-up. Make sure you know the route to and from school, as well as the procedures for drop-off and pick-up. If your children take the bus, make sure they know their stop and how to get to and from it safely.
- Talk to your kids about stranger danger. Remind them that they should never go anywhere with someone they don’t know, and teach them how to identify a trusted adult if they need help.
- Review basic safety rules with your kids. Things like crossing the street safely, not talking to strangers, and not accepting rides from strangers are important for all kids to know and practice.
- Monitor your child’s online activity. With so much of school now happening online, it’s important to make sure your child is only accessing age-appropriate websites and apps, and that they understand how to stay safe and avoid cyberbullying while using the internet.
- Keep communication open with your child. Check in with them regularly to see how they’re doing, both academically and socially. Let them know they can come to you with any problems or concerns they have.
By following these tips, you can help ensure your child has a safe and successful back-to-school season.