Did you know that as a Medicare beneficiary, you’re entitled to an annual wellness visit once a year at no charge? The wellness visit is a perfect time to sit down with your doctor here at Horizon Family Medical Group and discuss your plan for preventative health care for the coming year.
The wellness visit is different from an annual physical exam.  For example, your wellness exam includes a health risk assessment that includes a questionnaire to help your doctor determine your individual health status, behaviors, and needs.  Your doctor will also discuss your medical history and family history to determine potential risks.
Medicare.gov provides a list of questions and exams your annual wellness visit may include: 
- A review of your medical and family history. For example, if everyone in your family has had breast cancer, we’ll want to discuss a plan for ensuring you receive regular mammograms and self-exams.
- Developing or updating a list of current providers and prescriptions
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements
- Detection of any cognitive impairment
- Personalized health advice
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you
- A screening schedule (like a checklist) for appropriate preventive services. Get details about coverage for screenings, shots, and other preventive services.
- Advance Care Planning
The wellness visit is a perfect time to chat with your doctor and ensure you have a plan.  Staying ahead of potential problems can help keep more major issues from developing.
For more information on preventative services, including the annual wellness visit, take a look at “Your Guide to Medicare’s Preventative Services.” 
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get the latest news, updates, and educational articles (like this one) from Horizon Family Medical Group. Stay in touch and share with friends.