As the end of the year approaches, it’s a good time to think about getting caught up on any overdue medical exams or tests. These check-ups and tests can help identify any potential health issues and allow you to address them before they become more serious.
One important exam to consider is a physical. Physicals involve a thorough evaluation of your overall health, including your vital signs, weight, and height. Your doctor may also perform various tests, such as a blood test or urine test, to check for any underlying health issues. Physicals are recommended for adults at least once a year, and more often for those with certain health conditions.
Other important exams and tests to consider include the following:
- Dental check-up: It’s important to visit the dentist twice a year for a cleaning and exam to identify and address any potential dental issues.
- Vision exam: If you have any vision problems or are due for a check-up, now is a good time to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor.
- Mammogram: Women over the age of 40 should ask their healthcare provider here at Horizon Family Medical Group when to get a mammogram—the USPSTF recommendations is that women ages 50-74 get an exam at least every two years.
- Pap smear: Women between the ages of 21 and up should get a pap smear every three-to-five years to screen for cervical cancer.
- Prostate exam: Men over the age of 50 should consider getting a prostate exam to screen for prostate cancer.
It’s also a good idea to review your current health plan and consider any necessary updates or changes, especially if your healthcare plan is changing next year. This may include updating your list of medications, discussing any health concerns with your doctor, and making any necessary lifestyle changes to improve your overall health. Don’t wait until the new year to start thinking about your health.
Now is a great time to get caught up on overdue exams and tests, and to step into the new year with an up-to-date health plan. Taking proactive steps to maintain your health can help prevent potential health issues and ensure that you start the new year feeling your best.