According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, nearly 80,000 people go to the emergency room each year due to lawn mower injuries.  Children make up about 16,000 of those visits. 
Lawn mowing safety tips
Here are some tips for ensuring you and your loved ones stay safe:
- Don’t wear flip-flops to mow the lawn. We know, it seems like a no-brainer, but foot and toe injuries are common lawn-mower accidents. Wear sturdy shoes or work boots that won’t slip and provide extra protection
- Keep young kids away from the mower. Don’t let your toddler ride with you on a riding mower. And don’t let your young child walk with you behind the push-mower. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, your child should be at least 12 years old to operate a push-mower, and 16 years old to operate a riding mower. 
- Wear eye protection. The weed-eater or edging mower can flip rocks or debris and easily injure your eye. Even your push mower has potential for causing eye injury. It takes just a moment to put on safety glasses.
- Walk the yard before you start mowing. This way, you can remove any branches, twigs, toys, or other items that could potentially cause problems. Plus, you’re then less likely to have to stop and pick something up when your mower is still running.
- Fix clogs or jams with a stick or broom handle; never your hand. Even if you turn off the mower, there’s a chance a clog or jam could release tension and cause injury.
- Don’t fill a hot engine, and don’t do it over the grass. A hot engine and spilled gasoline can create a fire hazard. And if you spill gasoline on your lawn, it’ll kill the grass. Move the mower to a hard surface (e.g., sidewalk), let it cool, and then refill as needed.
Here’s a great video from Dr. Sarah Denny and the American Academy of Pediatrics:
From all of us here at Horizon Family Medical Group, please be safe out there!
- American Academy of Pediatrics: https://youtu.be/4M6EakDcgNI
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get the latest news, updates, and educational articles (like this one) from Horizon Family Medical Group. Stay in touch and share with friends.